ALBANY, N.Y. — New York State on Friday reported 6,151 new cases of COVID-19 in the last day, marking the third time the state had topped the 6,000 mark in this latest wave, fueled by the delta variant.
COVID infections have been rising in the Empire State since late June when cases bottomed out at under 300 per day. In the last week or so, the state has been averaging about 4,500 cases a day, which marks a slight dip in the state’s virus curve.
New York currently has 2,390 people hospitalized with the illness, down 37 in the last day. Hospitalization have been steadily rising since hitting a low of less than 350 in early July. The increases have moderated in recent days though.
More than four out of five New York adults have received at least one dose of a COVID vaccine and over seven out of 10 adults have been fully vaccinated.
Here’s the full breakdown of the state’s latest virus statistics:
- Test Results Reported: 197,952
- Total Positive: 6,151
- Percent Positive: 3.11%
- 7-Day Average Percent Positive: 3.30%
- Patient Hospitalization: 2,390 (-37)
- Patients Newly Admitted: 295
- Patients in ICU: 517 (-3)
- Patients in ICU with Intubation: 275 (+4)
- Total Discharges: 195,499 (+317)
- New Deaths: 43
- Total Deaths reported to and compiled by the CDC: 55,891
- Total vaccine doses administered: 24,189,043
- Total vaccine doses administered over past 24 hours: 58,138
- Total vaccine doses administered over past 7 days: 335,686
- Percent of New Yorkers ages 18 and older with at least one vaccine dose (CDC): 81.1%
- Percent of New Yorkers ages 18 and older with completed vaccine series (CDC): 72.8%
- Percent of all New Yorkers with at least one vaccine dose (CDC): 66.4%
- Percent of all New Yorkers with completed vaccine series (CDC): 59.7%
Locally, the 7-day average positivity rates for COVID tests reported Friday are as follows: Central New York (5.38%), Mohawk Valley (5.48%), North Country (5.53%), and Southern Tier (3.42%).